Project Orion developed by General Atomics at Camp Elliot
Project Orion was the first engineering design study of a spacecraft powered by nuclear pulse propulsion, an idea first proposed by Stanisław Ulam in 1947. The project, initiated in 1958, was led by Ted Taylor at General Atomics and physicist Freeman Dyson, who at Taylor's request took a year away from Princeton's Institute for Advanced Study to work on the project.
"a new site, six miles inland from General Atomic on a decomissioned Marine Corps staging area known as Camp Elliot, in Sycamore Canyon. ... [General Atomic] set up a facility for firing explosive-driven plasma jets at sample pusher-plate targets..."
The former land of Camp Elliot is now owned by UCSD and used to house the Animal Care Program.
|Taxonomy||business » arms industry » nuclear » research|
|Lat / Lng||32.890182, -117.108162|
|Entry updated:||2008-04-12 22:00:04|