military » base » Camp Matthews

Camp Matthews

Camp Matthews, known as Marine Rifle Range, La Jolla prior to the entrance of the United States into World War II, was a firing range located where UCSD is now. At its peak during the war it brought as many as 9,000 men through every 3 weeks. Marines marched up from downtown San Diego, practiced shooting their rifles, and left. Camp Matthews closed its doors in 1964 when the city and local businessmen convinced them to leave, helping to fulfill the UC Regent's promise to build a campus in San Diego.

Taxonomy military » base » Camp Matthews
NRHP classification institution-military
Lat / Lng 32.877640, -117.237038
Budget
Profit
Contracts
Date(s) 1942-03-23
Source(s)
  1. "Historic California Posts: A Brief History of the U.S. Marine Corps in San Diego" by WO1 Mark J. Denger, California Center for Military History
Entry updated: 2011-06-19 05:45:09
Camp Matthews